- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 125g rindless bacon, roughly chopped
- 750g lean beef mince
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium red capsicums, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chilli powder
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- toppings, to serve (see note)
- Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 15 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2Add onions, capsicums, garlic and chopped chilli. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Step 3Add tomatoes and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to mediumlow. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until sauce has reduced slightly.
- Step 4Add beans. Increase heat to medium. Cook for 15 minutes or until beans are heated through and sauce has thickened. Serve chilli with toppings.
Serve with pickled jalapeno chillies, light sour cream, coriander leaves and grated light tasty cheese for toppings. These can also accompany the pork tacos.
- Author: Liz Macri
- Publication: Super Food Ideas