- 500g whole cleaned baby octopus
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 long fresh red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 bunches broccolini, cut into florets
- 80ml (1/3 cup) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Steamed white rice, to serve
- Step 1Use a small sharp knife to cut the baby octopus heads from the tentacles, just below eyes. Cut eyes from the heads and discard. Cut the tentacles in half.
- Step 2Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add half the octopus and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until just cooked. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining octopus, reheating the pan between batches.
- Step 3Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the broccolini and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just tender. Add the tomato sauce,sweet chilli sauce and sugar and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce boils and thickens. Add the octopus and stir-fry for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Step 4Spoon the rice among serving bowls. Top with the octopus stir-fry and serve immediately.
Tip: Try this trick for keeping your broccolini fresh and crunchy – place upright in a glass of water and store in the fridge for up to four days.
- Author: Michelle Southan
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste