- 800g small orange sweet potato, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced.
- Step 2Cut potato into 1.5cm-thick slices. Place potato in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Boil for 3 minutes or until almost tender. Drain.
- Step 3Return potato to saucepan over low heat. Cook, shaking pan, for 30 seconds or until potato is dry. Transfer to a baking paper-lined baking tray. Drizzle with oil. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine flour, chilli, fennel and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle flour mixture over potato. Toss to coat. Spread potato, in a single layer, over tray.
- Step 4Bake for 40 minutes, turning potato halfway through cooking, or until golden and crisp.
Serving tip: Serve with lamb cutlets, roast chicken or roast pork.
To freeze: At the end of step 2, place tray in freezer for 4 hours or until potato is firm. Transfer to a large snap-lock bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
To reheat: Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Remove potato from freezer. Set aside for 5 minutes. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Separate slices. Place, in a single layer, on prepared tray. Bake following step 3.
Freezing tips: Always allow food to cool completely before covering in plastic wrap, then foil, to avoid food steaming and forming crystals.
Wrapping food in plastic wrap, then foil, prevents food from getting freezer burn.
Always thaw food in fridge overnight rather than at room temperature.
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas