- 1/4 cup (60ml) sake
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 8 (about 800g) chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- Ground white pepper
- 1 bunch baby leeks or green onions, washed, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- Steamed koshihikari rice (see note), to serve
Cabbage and sesame salad
- 1/2 baby wombok (Chinese cabbage), finely shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame paste
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- You will need to soak 12 bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes for this recipe.
- Step 1Combine sake, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and ginger in a medium saucepan; place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Step 2Combine the chicken and half the sake mixture in a bowl. Season with ground white pepper. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to marinate.
- Step 3Meanwhile, to make the salad, combine the wombok, carrot and sesame seeds in a bowl. Combine the sesame paste, vinegar and soy sauce in a jug and drizzle over salad. Gently toss to combine.
- Step 4Thread the chicken pieces and leek alternately onto the skewers.
- Step 5Preheat a grill on high. Place chicken skewers on an oven tray. Cook under grill, turning occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until brown all over and cooked through.
- Step 6Divide salad among serving plates. Serve with skewers, remaining sauce, and steamed rice, if desired.
Koshihikari rice is a short-grain sticky rice available from supermarkets and Asian grocery stores.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Chris Chen
- Publication: Notebook: