- 1 lemon
- 1 large (about 1.6kg) free-range chicken
- 2 bay leaves
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 40 garlic cloves, skin on
- 300ml Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 300ml white wine
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Step 2Cut the lemon in half lengthways and place in the cavity of the chicken with the bay leaves. Tie the legs together with kitchen string to secure, then rub with the olive oil and sprinkle with the rosemary. Place the chicken in an ovenproof casserole dish, add the garlic cloves, stock and wine and bring to the boil on the stovetop over medium heat. Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove lid and roast for a further 20 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown.
- Step 3Remove the chicken from dish and set aside to rest. Use a slotted spoon to remove about 16 of the garlic cloves and set aside. Place the baking dish on the stovetop over high heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes to reduce to a sauce, pressing the garlic to release the flavour. Strain.
- Step 4Serve the roast chicken with the reserved garlic cloves and drizzle with a little sauce.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Taste.com.au