- 2kg Steggles family feast chicken
- 2 large carrots, halved lengthways, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large brown onion, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 dried bouquet garni (see note)
- Step 1Place chicken in a stock pot. Add carrot, celery, onion, peppercorns, parsley sprigs and bouquet garni. Add 3 litres cold water. Place over medium-high heat. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Step 2Using tongs, carefully remove chicken. Place in a heatproof dish. Set aside to cool. Cover and refrigerate. Place a fine sieve over a large, heatproof bowl. Strain stock mixture. Discard solids. Set aside to cool. Cover. Refrigerate overnight
- Step 3Remove stock from fridge. Using a spoon, remove and discard fat from surface of stock (you should have 2 litres). Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken. Roughly chop chicken meat (you should have 4 cups chopped chicken).
Bouquet garni is a bundle of herbs, usually parsley, thyme and bay leaf. It’s found in the spice section of supermarkets.
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas