- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Massel chicken style stock cube
- 2L (8 cups) water
- 2 (about 200g each) single chicken breast fillets
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 (14cm diameter) corn tortillas
- Olive oil, extra, to shallow-fry
- 1 large ripe avocado, stone removed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- Chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Step 1Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, tomato, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until the tomato is tender.
- Step 2Combine the stock cubes and water in a jug. Add to the tomato mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the chicken and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked though. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Shred the chicken and return to the saucepan with the lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Step 3Stack the tortillas and cut into 1cm-wide strips. Add enough olive oil to a medium saucepan or deep frying pan to reach a depth of about 2cm. Heat over a medium heat. (Use a tortilla strip to test when the oil is ready.) Add one-quarter of the tortilla strips to the oil and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining tortillas.
- Step 4Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with avocado and coriander. Serve with tortilla strips.
Tip: You can freeze this recipe at the end of step 2. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat and continue from step 3.
- Author: Gemma Purcell
- Image credit: Chris Court & Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste