- 1.25L (5 cups) cold water
- 1 brown onion, peeled, halved
- 2 sprigs fresh continental parsley
- 6 black peppercorns
- Pinch of salt
- 2 (200g each) single chicken breast fillets
- 750g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- Olive oil spray
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 200g snow peas, trimmed, halved diagonally
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Balsamic vinegar, to serve
- Step 1Place the water, onion, parsley, peppercorns and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cover with a lid. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to poach. Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from the poaching liquid and set aside to cool slightly. Discard the liquid.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the pumpkin on the lined tray. Spray with olive oil spray and season with pepper. Roast in oven, turning once halfway through cooking, for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place the sesame seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until toasted.
- Step 4Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Add the snow peas and cook for 1-2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Rinse under cold running water. Drain.
- Step 5Use your fingers to shred the chicken. Combine chicken, pumpkin, snow peas and spinach in a large bowl. Divide evenly among the serving plates. Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
Allow 30 minutes poaching and resting time.
- Author: Chrrisy Freer
- Image credit: Rob Palmer & Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Australian Good Taste