- Olive oil spray
- 4 slices day-old wholegrain sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved
- 3 (about 200g each) single chicken breast fillets
- 1 lemon
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salted baby capers, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Step 1Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill on high. Spray with olive oil spray to grease. Cook the bread on grill for 1 minute each side or until lightly charred. Rub with the cut side of the garlic clove. Tear into 2cm pieces.
- Step 2Spray the chicken with olive oil spray. Cook on grill for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Step 3Meanwhile, use a zester to remove the rind from the lemon. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel rind from lemon. Use a sharp knife to remove white pith from rind. Cut rind into very thin strips.)
- Step 4Coarsely shred the chicken. Place the bread, chicken, tomato, cucumber, capers and basil in a large serving bowl.
- Step 5Whisk oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Add to the salad. Season with pepper. Toss to combine. Divide among serving dishes. Top with lemon rind to serve.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Variation: For a change, swap chicken for 4 pork loin medallions. In step 2, reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Alan Benson
- Publication: Australian Good Taste