- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 x 7cm pieces lemon rind, white pith removed
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 4 (about 600g) desiree potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 small (about 400g) single chicken breast fillets, excess fat trimmed, halved lengthways, thinly sliced crossways
- 1 bunch English spinach, ends trimmed, washed, coarsely chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Step 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 2Add the stock, lemon rind and saffron and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the potato and cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until just tender.
- Step 3Add the chicken and spinach to the soup and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Taste and season with pepper.
- Step 4Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Serve immediately with crusty bread, if desired.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Tracy Rutherford
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste