- 500g lean chicken sausages
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 300ml pure cream
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Cooked penne rigate, to serve
- Steamed broccoli, to serve
- Step 1Squeeze chicken from sausage casings into a bowl. Roll level tablespoons into balls. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add meatballs. Cook, turning, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Wipe pan clean.
- Step 2Return pan to heat. Add remaining oil to pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Step 3Sprinkle flour into pan. Stir for 1 minute. Add stock, cream and mustard. Stir until well combined. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. Return meatballs to pan with half the chives. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Step 4Divide pasta between bowls. Spoon over meatball mixture. Sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve with broccoli.
Cook’s note: You could use other sausages, such as pork or lamb, in this dish.
- Author: Jo Anne Calabria
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas