This easy chicken, corn and risoni soup is a nutritious and delicious everyday choice for kids.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons Massel chicken style stock powder
- 6 cups boiling water
- 2 (400g) chicken breast fillets
- 2 sweet corn cobs, husks removed
- 1/3 cup dried risoni pasta
- 1 large zucchini, trimmed, finely diced
- 75g baby spinach
- Chopped fresh chives
Cheesy herb toasts
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 30g butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 50g (1/2 cup) pizza cheese
- Step 1Spray a large saucepan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Place stock powder and boiling water in a large heatproof jug. Stir to dissolve stock. Add mixture to pan. Bring to the boil.
- Step 2Add chicken and corn. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Remove chicken and corn. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 3Meanwhile, add pasta to pan. Simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Using 2 forks, shred chicken. Cut kernels from corn cobs. Return chicken and corn to pan. Add zucchini. Simmer for 2 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Step 4Remove pan from heat. Stir in spinach until just wilted. Divide soup between bowls. Sprinkle with chives.
- Step 5Meanwhile, make herb toasts. Preheat grill to high. Place bread on an oven tray and grill for 1-2 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove from grill. Mix butter and coriander together and spread over untoasted side of bread. Scatter over cheese. Return to grill for 3-5 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas
Leave a Reply