- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800g chicken mince
- 2 medium brown onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium red capsicum, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 x 400g cans red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 3 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Steamed white rice, to serve
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Step 1Heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook mince in 2 batches, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 2Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Return mince to pan. Stir to coat. Add beans, tomato, oregano, chilli, if using, and 1/2 cup cold water. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Step 3Serve half the chilli con carne with rice, sprinkled with coriander. Cover and refrigerate remaining chilli con carne.
- High fibre
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Serves 4 with leftovers. Use leftovers to make the Chicken burritos for dinner tomorrow night (see related recipe).
Leftovers tips: You can keep leftovers in the fridge or up to 3 days. Store in airtight containers or snap-lock bags.
Leftover Chicken chilli con carne can be frozen in airtight containers or snap-lock bags for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before using
- Author: Lucy Nunes
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas