- 750ml (3 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 220g (1 cup) arborio rice
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 200g (1 cup) fresh corn kernels
- 20g (1/4 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 (about 200g each) single chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- Step 1Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat and hold at a gentle simmer.
- Step 2Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray to grease. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the rice and 1 teaspoon of paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 3Add a ladleful (about 125ml/1/2 cup) of the simmering stock to the rice and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the liquid is completely absorbed. Continue to add the stock, 1 ladleful at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next ladleful, for 18 minutes or until the rice is almost tender yet firm to the bite and the risotto is creamy.
- Step 4Stir in the asparagus and corn. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the parmesan and lemon rind. Season with pepper. Set aside, covered, for 3 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Step 5Meanwhile, place the remaining paprika in a bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Step 6Divide the risotto among serving dishes. Top with the chicken and baby spinach leaves to serve.
- Diabetes friendly
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
Variation: For something different, swap the asparagus and corn for 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms and 150g (1 cup) frozen peas.
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Alan Benson
- Publication: Australian Good Taste