- 1.7kg chicken pieces (such as drumsticks and thigh cutlets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20g butter
- 2 small brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 100g dried apricots
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Step 1Season the chicken. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Step 2Melt butter in the dish. Stir in onion for 5 minutes or until golden. Stir in cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon, ginger and saffron for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Stir in the tomato paste. Add chicken, stock and apricots. Bring to the boil. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and turn the chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tender. Top with coriander leaves.
Spice trick: For even more flavour, grind spices using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: Australian Good Taste