- 140g (1/2 cup) Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped coriander, plus extra sprigs, to serve
- 5 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Herbed couscous (optional), to serve
- Step 1To marinate chicken, place yoghurt, two-thirds of the garlic, half the ginger, coriander, anchovies, 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons paprika, 2 tablespoons oil and chicken in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and toss well to combine. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Step 2Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large tagine or casserole over high heat. Add onion and remaining garlic, ginger and 2 teaspoons each cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until chicken is golden. Add stock and tomatoes, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, then simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked though.
- Step 3Divide chicken tagine among bowls, top with extra coriander and serve with herbed couscous, if using.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Allow an extra 30 minutes to marinate. Tip tips: For an authentic touch, scatter with finely chopped preserved lemon rind. Available from delis and selected supermarkets.
- Author: Dominic Smith
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: MasterChef