- 500g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 227g canned sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (shaohsing)*
- 1/2 cup (75g) peanuts, roasted
- Steamed brown rice, to serve
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- Step 1Toss chicken in sugar and 1 tablespoon each of hoisin and soy. Heat half the oil in a non-stick wok over high heat.
- Step 2Drain half the chicken and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Step 3Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Step 4Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Step 5Reduce heat to medium and add capsicum, onion and remaining hoisin and soy. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until tender. Return chicken to wok, add water chestnuts and rice wine. Simmer until wine is reduced by half. Remove from heat and add peanuts. Serve on rice. Garnish with coriander.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
* Chinese rice wine is from Asian supermarkets. Substitute dry sherry.
- Author: Nancy Duran
- Image credit: Georgie Cole
- Publication: Taste.com.au