- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large (about 600g) orange sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 20g butter
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 500g chicken mince
- 25g (1/3 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 185ml (3/4 cup) thin cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Step 1Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, fennel and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until fennel softens. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Transfer the fennel mixture to a large bowl. Wipe pan clean with paper towel.
- Step 2Meanwhile, steam the sweet potato in a steamer basket over a saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the butter and use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Taste and season with salt. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Step 3Add chicken mince and breadcrumbs to the fennel mixture and season with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Divide chicken mixture into 8 portions and shape into 7cm patties.
- Step 4Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the patties and cook for 3 minutes each side or until brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Wipe pan clean with paper towel.
- Step 5Add the cream to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the tarragon and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Taste and season with salt.
- Step 6Divide the sweet potato mash among serving plates. Top with the patties and drizzle with tarragon sauce. Serve immediately.
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Amanda Kelly
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Australian Good Taste