- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600g single chicken breast fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 70g (1/4 cup) tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 4 Fresh Baby Potatoes with Butter and Herbs, quartered
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 300g dried macaroni pasta
- 125g (1/2 cup) creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Step 1Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning, for 8 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2Reduce the heat to medium. Add the capsicum and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until capsicum softens slightly. Add the tomato paste and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 3Add the wine and cook for 3 minutes or until the liquid reduces slightly. Add the potato and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Step 4Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain. Return to the pan. Add the butter from the potato packet and stir to combine.
- Step 5Combine the creme fraiche or sour cream and cornflour in a small bowl. Add the chicken and the creme fraiche mixture to the capsicum mixture and simmer for 4 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley. 6. Divide the pasta among serving bowls. Top pasta with the chicken mixture and serve immediately.
Option 1:Beef stroganoff with risoni: Omit potatoes. Replace the chicken with 600g beef scotch fillet, thinly sliced. Replace the capsicum with 300g cap mushrooms, quartered. Replace white wine with 125ml (1/2 cup) red wine. Replace the chicken stock with 375ml (1 1/2 cups) beef stock. Replace the macaroni with 300g dried risoni pasta. Add 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce with the wine in step 3.
Option 2: Chicken cacciatore with crushed potatoes: Omit the macaroni, creme fraiche and cornflour. Increase potatoes to 1 x 400g pkt Woolworths Fresh Baby Potatoes with Butter and Herbs. Replace the chicken breast fillets with 600g chicken thigh fillets, halved. Replace tomato paste with 60ml (1/4 cup) passata (tomato pasta sauce). Add 1 teaspoon of parsley at the end of step 5. Cook the potatoes following packet instructions. Melt the butter from the potato packet in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the potatoes and use a fork to crush slightly. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Stir in the remaining parsley. Serve with the chicken mixture. ((( Option 3: ))) Pork fillets with mustard cream sauce: Omit the capsicum, tomato paste, macaroni and cornflour. Replace the chicken with 600g pork fillets. Replace the paprika with 1 1/2 tbs wholegrain mustard. Replace the potatoes with Fresh Sweet Potato Puree. In step 1, cook the pork, turning occasionally, for 8-10 minutes. In step 6, thickly slice the pork across the grain. Divide the sweet potato puree among serving plates and top with the pork mixture. Drizzle over the creme fraiche mixture to serve.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: William Meppem
- Publication: Australian Good Taste