- 4 (350g each) large red capsicums
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 3 baby eggplants, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 x 250g packets arborio rice risotto base
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock (see notes)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup pizza cheese
- mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease a 4.5cm-deep, 21cm x 28cm (top) flameproof baking dish. Slice tops from capsicums. Discard tops. Scoop out seeds and membrane. Stand in prepared pan (see note). Bake for 20 minutes or until just tender. Preheat grill on high.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add eggplant. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until just tender. Add rice. Stir to break up lumps. Add stock. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid has absorbed.
- Step 3Stir in basil and half the cheese. Divide rice mixture between capsicums. Top with remaining cheese. Place baking dish under grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Serve with salad.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
If capsicums don’t stand flat in the pan, cut a thin slice from the base of each capsicum (being careful not to make holes in the bottoms). Super saver: Use green capsicums instead of red and save around $4 in total.
Vegetable stock can be used instead.
- Author: Kirrily La Rosa
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas