- 420g can corn kernels, drained, rinsed
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup grated extra-light cheese
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Mexican chilli powder
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- Light sour cream, to serve
- Bottled salsa, to serve
- Fresh salsa (see note), to serve
- Baby spinach, to serve
- Roasted truss cherry tomatoes, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Step 1Combine corn, onion, cheese, flour and chilli powder in a bowl. Add milk and egg. Stir to combine. Season.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drop 1/4 cup batter into pan, spreading to form a circle. Repeat to make 4 fritters. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden underneath. Turn. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Step 3Serve fritters with sour cream, salsas, spinach, tomatoes and lime.
Make your own fresh salsa by combining 1 diced cucumber, 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced avocado, 1 sliced green onion, a squeeze of lime and coriander.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Super Food Ideas