- 30g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 415g can red salmon, bones and skin removed, flaked
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 cups cooked white long-grain rice (see tip)
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- Step 1Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Return pan to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 180°C /160°C fan-forced. Combine salmon, peas and lemon rind in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spread half the rice over the base of a greased 7cm-deep, 24cm (base) square baking dish. Arrange half the salmon mixture over rice. Spoon over half the sauce and half the remaining cheese. Repeat layers with remaining rice, salmon, sauce and cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve with parsley.
Tip: You will need 1 cup uncooked rice to make 3 cups cooked.
- Author: Reader recipe
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas