- 8 (375g) lean Italian sausages
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 625g packet fresh spinach and ricotta agnolotti pasta
- 1 cup reduced-fat grated pizza cheese
- Step 1Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions until tender. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook sausages in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Thinly slice.
- Step 3Add onion, garlic and capsicum to pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until onions are softened. Add tomato. Season with pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Preheat grill on medium-high.
- Step 4Place sausage, onion mixture and pasta in a 6cm-deep, 8 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Grill for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
You could use 2 cups shredded cooked chicken instead of the sausages.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas