- 2 large red capsicums, quartered
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 fresh lasagne sheets
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Step 1Heat a barbecue plate or chargrill over medium-high heat. Spray capsicum with oil. Cook, skin-side down, for 8 to 10 minutes or until skin is blistered and black. Place in a snap-lock bag. Seal. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, spray zucchini and eggplant with oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until tender and charred. Transfer to a baking tray. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 3Peel and discard skin from capsicum.
- Step 4Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add tomato paste. Cook for 30 seconds. Add wine. Bring to the boil. Add tomato and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in basil.
- Step 5Meanwhile, make cheese sauce:
- Step 6Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes or until melted and foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 minute or until mixture bubbles. Remove pan from heat. Slowly add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps forming.
- Step 7Return pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in cheese until smooth. Remove pan from heat.
- Step 8Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Lightly grease an 8-cup capacity, 5.5cm-deep, 21cm x 30cm (base) baking dish. Spoon 1/2 cup tomato sauce over base of dish. Top with 1 lasagne sheet, breaking and trimming to fit. Arrange half the eggplant, capsicum and zucchini over lasagne. Spoon over half the remaining tomato sauce mixture. Spoon over one-third cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining pasta sheets and cheese sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 40 minutes or until pasta is tender and cheese golden. Stand for 10 minutes. Serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas