- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1kg large green king prawns, peeled leaving tail intact, deveined
- 250g trussed cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 avocado, halved, stoned, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1/3 cup (85g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons horseradish cream
- Step 1Heat a large chargrill pan on high. Drizzle half the oil over the prawns. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on chargrill for 2 minutes each side or until prawns curl and change colour. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 2Drizzle remaining oil over tomatoes. Cook on chargrill, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly charred and beginning to collapse.
- Step 3To make the saffron dressing, combine the saffron and water in a small heatproof bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to infuse. Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice and horseradish and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Add the onion, basil, avocado and lettuce to the prawns and gently toss until just combined. Divide evenly among serving plates. Drizzle with saffron dressing to serve.
For an even quicker meal, buy pre-cooked prawns and don’t cook the tomatoes. Add purple basil and yellow grape tomatoes for a colourful twist.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Notebook: