- 375g pkt large rice stick noodles
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 200g medium green prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 100g bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Step 1Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside until the noodles are tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Step 2Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat until just smoking. Stir-fry the prawns, garlic and sambal oelek for 2 minutes or until the prawns curl and change colour. Add the noodles, soy sauce and kecap manis. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until combined.
- Step 3Add the egg and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the bean sprouts and half the chives and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the egg is just cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the remaining chives.
Serves 8 as part of a banquet.
Stir-fried in a hot wok for the ultimate smoky flavour, this noodle dish is a real taste of Malaysian hawker food.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste