- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 50g butter
- 1/4 cup (40g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (80g) coarsely grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup (45g) packaged breadcrumbs
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180C. Cook the cauliflower in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well and transfer to a 6-cup (1.5 litre) capacity baking dish.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a medium frying pan over medium heat for 2 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 3Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fl our becomes slightly grainy. Remove from heat and add the milk and mustard. Return to the heat and cook, whisking with a balloon whisk, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and add half the cheese. Stir until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Step 4Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the cauliflower. Combine the remaining cheese, bacon and breadcrumbs in a bowl and scatter over the sauce mixture. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 as a side dish.
Tip: Add broccoli to the cauliflower and bacon gratin for more colour, and crumble blue cheese over the top – a perfect flavour match.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Notebook: