Author Notes: I started making this stuff a few years ago when we had a mushroom pepper plant (similar to a habanero) that was prolific and the peppers were super tasty … that plant volunteered back for 3 years but not this year – boo – so this time I used alternate peppers. Use your judgement on how spicy you like things, this version has a nice little back burn but is not too hot (to us). Also I was going to put additional habaneros and call it Bugs Bunny’s Butt Burner but Mr L talked me out of it. You can send him your thanks 🙂 —aargersi
large carrots (if you can get organic ones it is worth the extra $$ – their flavor is amazing)
cups chicken broth (low salt)
hungarian wax peppers
large knob of ginger – about 2 inches
cup white wine vinegar
cup amino acids (these have a nice mild saltiness – if you can’t find them use soy sauce but use less and taste for salt level)
olive oil for the pan
- Peel and chop the onion and carrots – don’t be fancy you are going to grind them up anyhow
- Add oil to a big skillet and heat to med – high. Saute the onions for a couple minutes until they start to go clear, then add the carrots. Saute a couple more minutes then add the broth. Simmer uncovered until the carrots are tender but not mushy, maybe 20-30 minutes.
- While those are cooking, peel and chop the ginger, also de-seed and de-vein the peppers, and chop them. I usually throw caution to the wind but with the habanero I do wear gloves.
- Add the ginger and peppers, amino acids and vinegar to the pan and cook just a few more minutes, then turn off the heat and let them cool a bit.
- Now take the whole thing and put it in your processor or blender – depending how big it is you may need to do 2 batches. Whiz it all up – not TOO smooth, taste for salt and adjust if needed.
- This is good warm or cold – I am having it warm with a gingered grilled salmon tonight, and Mr L is having it cold on a sausage dog tomorrow.