- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh jalapeno chillies, finely chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (about 400g each) beef rump steaks
- 4 tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- Tortillas, warmed, to serve
- Step 1Place cumin, ground coriander, oregano, salt, 1/2 cup chopped coriander, 3 garlic cloves and half the chilli in a mortar. Pound with a pestle until a coarse paste forms. Stir in half the lime juice and half the oil. Season with pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Add steak. Toss to coat. Cover. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, combine tomato, onion and remaining chopped coriander, garlic, chilli, lime juice and oil in a bowl. Season.
- Step 3Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on high. Drain steak from marinade. Season with salt. Spray with oil. Cook for 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a rack over a baking tray. Cover with foil. Rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice. Serve with salsa and tortillas.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Swap it: For chicken asada, swap the steaks with chicken thigh fillets and cook for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Author: Sonja Bernyk & Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons & Al Richardson
- Publication: Australian Good Taste