- 20g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks, trimmed, cut crossways into 1cm-thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 200g fresh ricotta
- 100g goat's cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200C. Heat half the butter and half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook half the leek, turning, for 6 minutes or until golden. Season. Combine sugar and vinegar in a bowl. Add half the sugar mixture and half the water to pan. Cook, turning once, for 1-2 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated and leek is caramelised. Transfer to a plate. Wipe pan clean. Repeat with remaining butter, oil, leek, sugar mixture and water.
- Step 2Place 1 pastry sheet on a lined baking tray. Top with remaining pastry sheet and press to seal. Use a knife to make a 1.5cm-thick border around edges (don’t cut all the way through). Use a fork to prick the base. Brush with egg. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden. Cool for 5 minutes. If the tart centre is puffed, press down gently.
- Step 3Combine the ricotta, goat’s cheese and parsley in a bowl. Season. Spread over the pastry centre. Top with the leek. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and pastry is cooked through. Serve with mixed salad leaves.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Try this: Leeks go great with eggs, so add these caramelised leeks to a cheesy frittata.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Al Richardson
- Publication: Australian Good Taste