- 1 large sheet frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 300mls thickened cream
- 20g butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup pecans, toasted
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pure cream
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 23cm (base) round loose-based fluted flan tin. Line tin with pastry. Trim excess. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Place tin on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove weights or rice and paper. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool. Reduce oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Step 2Place sugar and 1/4 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Cook, without stirring, brushing down sides of pan occasionally with a wet pastry brush, for 5 to 7 minutes or until deep golden. Add cream, butter and vanilla. Increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Step 3Add eggs. Stir to combine. Place nuts in pastry case. Pour caramel mixture over nuts. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate overnight.
- Step 4Make chocolate topping: Place chocolate and cream in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth. Spread over top of tart. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until set. Serve.
- High fibre
- High protein
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Liz Macri
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas