Author Notes: “Waste not want not” – day-old bread is no exception. Ripe blueberries and cantaloupe are complimented by fresh basil in this cool, sweet and savory combination. Panzanella is a pleasant, summertime salad ideal for those hot days of July and August. —Bow Hill Blueberries
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
Photo by Blake Vanfield0
Cantaloupe & Blue PanzanellaPrint Recipe
- 6 cups stale bread, ¾” cubed*
- 2 pints fresh Bow Hill blueberries (can use pickled if fresh out of season)
- 3 cups cantaloupe
- 1 cup basil, chiffonade
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Bow Hill Organic Heirloom Pickled Blueberries' brine
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small clove of garlic. minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, soak the red onion in the Bow Hill Blueberry Pickle brine. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, olive oil, garlic and salt.
- Add the onions and the brine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Let rest at room temperature at least 20 minutes prior to serving.
- * Make sure to use 1 to 2 day-old bread, it will absorb the moisture from the fruit and dressing while holding its shape. Fresh bread will become soggy and dissolve.
Leave a Reply