- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 800g small calamari hoods, cleaned, cut into strips (see note)
- 200g grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Step 1Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add rice. Stir to coat. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover with lid. Cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook calamari for 2 to 3 minutes or until just cooked through. Transfer to a large bowl. Add tomato to pan. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Step 3Add tomato, basil and rice mixture to calamari. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Calamari hoods are also available already cleaned. You’ll need 400g for this recipe.
- Author: Jenny Fanshaw
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Super Food Ideas