- 125ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 8 (about 500g) chicken tenderloins
- 700g sweet potato, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 60g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Steamed green vegetables, to serve
- Step 1Combine buttermilk, lemon rind and garlic in a glass or ceramic dish. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour to develop the flavours.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook the sweet potato in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain. Return to the pan. Mash until smooth. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 3Combine breadcrumbs and parsley on a plate. Drain chicken pieces, 1 at a time, from marinade. Press into breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat. Transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Step 4Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Serve with the mash and vegetables.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Swap it: For a different flavour, swap the parsley for 1 chopped fresh oregano and 2 tsp grated lemon rind.
Why sweet potato?
Top source of several of the health-protecting carotenoids, including beta-carotene
Good source of vitamin C and dietary fibre
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste