- 20g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 750g chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed, chopped
- 110g (2/3 cup) roasted cashews, finely chopped
- 1 x 410g can tomato puree
- 70g (1/4 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- Steamed white rice, to serve
- Step 1Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 2Add the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Step 3Stir in the cashew, tomato puree and yoghurt. Cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens slightly. Stir in the spinach. Divide the rice among serving dishes and top with the curry to serve.
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Cook’s tip: To prevent curdling, stir a little of the curry sauce into the yoghurt before adding it to the curry.
With a twist: Prawn curry with baby spinach & peas: Replace the chicken with 500g frozen prawns, thawed. Reduce cooking time to 1 minute in step 2. Add 150g (1 cup) frozen peas with the cashews in step 3.
- Author: Emma Braz
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste