- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 100g sliced pancetta, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 800g truss tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- 375g dried bucatini pasta
- 40g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan
- Chopped fresh continental parsley, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add pancetta. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until golden. Add garlic and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add tomato. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the mixture boils. Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Stir in sugar.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain, reserving 60ml (1/4 cup) of cooking liquid.
- Step 3Return the pasta to pan. Stir in the sauce. Gradually add just enough of the reserved cooking liquid to lightly coat the pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley.
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Cynthia Black & Liz Macri
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste