- 3 medium washed potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 150g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon dried breadcrumbs
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- low-fat cheese, grated
- Step 1Place the potatoes, sweet potato, carrots and peas in a steamer and steam until tender. Remove and place in a large heatproof bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes then mash roughly. Stir through breadcrumbs.
- Step 2When cool enough to touch, take 1/3 cup of the mixture and shape into rough rounds. Heat a little oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook each cake for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Step 3As the bubble and squeak cakes are cooking, top the bread with grated cheese and toast in an oven grill until melted and golden. Serve with a couple of the bubble and squeak cakes.
Try cutting the bread into fun shapes using a pastry cutter before toasting. Try other vegetables like pumpkin, zucchini or broccili flowerets.
- Author: Kate Murdoch
- Image credit: Oliver Ford
- Publication: Taste.com.au