- 2 thick slices wholemeal bread, crusts removed, cut into 1cm pieces
- Olive oil spray
- 1 leek, pale section only, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large potato, peeled, finely chopped
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 1 Massel vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 600g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 75g (1/4 cup) low-fat sour cream
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the bread on a baking tray and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Bake, turning once, for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil spray. Add the leek. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Step 3Add the potato, water and stock cube to the leek mixture. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Step 4Place the broccoli mixture, parsley and basil in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the soup to a clean saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until heated through.
- Step 5Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with sour cream and croutons. Season with pepper to serve.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Australian Good Taste