- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 200g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan, extra
- Step 1Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2Add tomato paste and cherry tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until tomato softens. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 12 hole, 1?3-cup capacity muffin pan. Combine flour and parmesan in a bowl. Make a well in centre. Whisk milk, egg and remaining oil together in a jug. Add egg mixture and tomato mixture to well. Stir until just combined.
- Step 4Spoon mixture evenly between prepared holes. Sprinkle with extra parmesan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and just firm to the touch. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Reheat muffins in the microwave on high (100%) for 20 seconds or until warmed.
- Author: Kim Meredith
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas