Author Notes: The Sazerac cocktail, a New Orleans native, takes on a Keystone State flair in this late summer rendition of the famous classic. —Rachel (Simple Seasonal)
1/4 C blueberries
2 oz Dad’s Hat Rye whiskey
Rinse of Vieux Carré absinthe
1/2 tsp maple syrup aged in rye whiskey barrels
5 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
Twist of lemon
- Rinse the inside of a glass with absinthe by putting a small amount in and rolling the glass around in your hands. Pour the rest back in the bottle or discard.
- In a mixing tin, muddle the blueberries until all the juice has been released.
- Fill the tin halfway with ice
- Add the whiskey
- Add the maple syrup
- Add the 5 dashes of Peychaud’s
- Using a bar spoon, stir the ingredients until well mixed
- Strain into a glass using both a Hawthorne and a small mesh strainer in order to catch all of the blueberry pulp.
- Squeeze a lemon zest over the glass to release the oils
- Garnish with a lemon twist
Photo by Rachel (Simple Seasonal)