- 290g (2 cups) cashew nuts
- 185ml (3/4 cup) coconut milk, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 125ml (1/2 cup) melted coconut oil
- 120g (3/4 cup) frozen blueberries, thawed in a bowl
- 80g (1/2 cup) cashew nuts, lightly toasted
- 80g (1/2 cup) sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
- 150g fresh dates, pitted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Step 1Place cashews in a large bowl. Cover with cold water. Soak for 4 hours. Rinse under cold running water and drain.
- Step 2Grease the base and sides of a 20cm (base measurement) square cake pan. Line with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Step 3For the base, process cashews, sunflower seeds and coconut in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add dates, oil and salt. Process until well combined. Press into base of prepared pan. Use a straight-sided glass to smooth the surface. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Step 4Use a high-speed blender to blend soaked cashews, milk, juice, maple syrup, vanilla, rind and 100ml oil until very smooth. Transfer two-thirds (about 550g) of the cashew mixture to a bowl and stir in extra coconut milk. Add berries and any juice from the bowl, and remaining oil to the blender with remaining cashew mixture and blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until very smooth. Spoon half the mixtures, in random spoonfuls, into the prepared pan. Use a butter knife to create a swirled effect. Repeat with remaining mixtures, using the knife to create a swirled effect. Place in the freezer for 6 hours or until set.
- Step 5Stand pan at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften slightly. Cut into 18 pieces. Store in a lined airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- High fibre
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine