- 175g (1 cup) black rice
- 4 (about 125g each) pork loin steaks, excess fat trimmed
- 150g sugar snap peas (see note), blanched
- 150g snow peas, thinly sliced, blanched
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 25g roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Step 1Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 30-35 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil. Cook the pork for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden and just cooked through. Transfer to a clean chopping board. Cover loosely with foil and set aside for 2-3 minutes to rest.
- Step 3Thinly slice the pork. Place the rice, sugar snap peas, snow peas, spinach cashews and chives in a large bowl. Whisk the orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, honey and ginger in a small bowl. Add dressing and pork to the salad and gently toss to combine.
- High protein
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
If sugar snap peas are unavailable, replace with extra snow peas.
Why black rice?
- 50 per cent more dietary fibre than brown rice
- Source of protein, magnesium and vitamins B1 and B3
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste