ounces dried black lentils
handful chopped fresh tarragon
tablespoons olive oil
cup olive oil
cup balsamic vinegar
bunch bibb lettuce, romaine lettuce, baby spinach or mixed green salad
- Bring a large saucepan full of water to a boil. Add lentils and cook for 20-22 minutes on medium-high heat.
- While the lentils are cooking, thinly slice both leeks and chop the tarragon.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan, and saute leeks over medium-high heat.
- Add the zest and juice of both lemons to a large bowl.
- Stir the cooked lentils and leeks into the bowl.
- Stir in chopped tarragon.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Make a vinaigrette by combining and whisking 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar.
- Make a bed of salad in each individual bowl.
- Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cups of lentil mixture over the salad.
- Drizzle the olive oil/balsamic vinegar vinaigrette over the lentils.
- May be served warm or cold.
- Serve with fresh bread, cheese and pate.