- 3 French shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2 (about 800g) beef rump steaks, cut into 5mm-thick strips
- Ground white pepper
- 80ml (1/3 cup) kecap manis
- 250ml can Satay Sauce, warmed, to serve
- Step 1Blend the shallot, garlic, ginger, turmeric and sambal oelek in a blender until a smooth paste forms. Transfer to a bowl. Add beef and toss to coat. Season with salt and white pepper. Stir in the kecap manis. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Step 2Thread beef onto 24 soaked bamboo skewers. Preheat a chargrill on medium-high. Cook half the skewers for 2 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a serving platter. Cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining skewers. Serve with the satay sauce.
Serves 8 as part of a banquet.
Cook’s tip: Sambal oelek is a spicy chilli sauce, so leave it out if you want kid-friendly skewers.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste