- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5kg beef silverside roast
- 1 large brown onion, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 litre Massel beef stock
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet, trimmed, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Heat half the oil in a large, flameproof, ovenproof dish over medium heat. Cook beef for 3 to 5 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2Heat remaining oil in dish. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add stock, stirring until smooth. Stir in tomato.
- Step 3Return beef to dish. Cover. Bring to the boil. Transfer dish to oven. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Add chickpeas. Cook, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until beef is just cooked through and tender. Add silverbeet. Cook for 5 minutes or until silverbeet has just wilted. Serve beef mixture with coriander.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All about: Silverside roast: Silverside roast is a budget-friendly boneless cut of beef from the hindquarter. It’s not to be confused with corned silverside, which has been cured in a spiced brine.
- Author: Emma Braz
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Super Food Ideas