- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 700g lean beef mince
- 2 large brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 200g pkt sliced Swiss brown mushrooms
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 sheet puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan forced. Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mince. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to bowl.
- Step 2Heat 2 tbs of remaining oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion. Season. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until soft. Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until caramelised. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 3Heat remaining oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add mushroom and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft. Return mince and onion mixture to pan. Sprinkle with flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Slowly add stock, stirring constantly until smooth. Stir in Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened slightly. Transfer to a 2L (8 cup) baking dish. Top with pastry. Brush with egg. Cut a small slit in centre of pastry. Bake for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons & Brett Stevens
- Publication: Taste Magazine