- 4 eschalots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, quartered
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
- Pinch ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1kg beef schnitzel (uncrumbed), halved crossways
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup kecap manis
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- Step 1Place eschalots, garlic, ginger, pepper, tamarind paste and 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water into the bowl of a small food processor. Pulse to form a paste.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large wok or deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir-fry beef, in batches, for 1 to 2 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate. Add eschalot mixture. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Return beef to wok. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Step 3Add tomato and kecap manis. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until beef is just cooked. Serve topped with green onions.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Serves 6 as part of a banquet.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas