- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 800g gravy beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cups Massel beef stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Step 1Place flour and beef in a snap-lock bag. Seal. Shake to coat. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Step 2Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery to pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Return beef and juices to pan. Add parsnip, rosemary, stock, tomato paste and vinegar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Remove lid. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beef is tender.
- Step 3Meanwhile, make soft polenta: Combine milk and 2 cups cold water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Gradually add polenta, stirring. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese.
- Step 4Add basil to casserole. Stir to combine. Serve casserole with polenta.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Cathie Lonnie
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas