- 500g minced beef
- 70g (1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (see note)
- 1 onion, coarsely grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 loaf Turkish bread, quartered, split horizontally
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, to brush
- Butter lettuce leaves, to serve
- 700g beetroot, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly torn
Roasted chilli mayonnaise
- 4 long red chillies
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200C. Wrap each beetroot in foil, place on an oven tray and roast for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from oven and cool.
- Step 2Meanwhile, to make beef patties, place minced beef, breadcrumbs, onion, egg and cumin seeds in a large bowl. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Using your hands, combine well, then shape mixture into 4 x 12cm patties. Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Step 3Meanwhile, to make chilli mayonnaise, preheat barbecue to medium–high. Cook chillies on grill, turning, for 5 minutes or until skin blackens and blisters. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Stand for 5 minutes, then peel off skins and discard. Slice chillies in half lengthwise, discard seeds, then finely chop. Place in a small food processor with egg yolk, mustard, garlic and paprika, and process until combined. With the motor running, alternating, gradually add oils in a thin, steady stream until emulsified. Season. Makes 3/4 cup.
- Step 4Wearing gloves to prevent staining, unwrap beetroot, peel and finely chop. Place in a bowl with vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves, then season.
- Step 5Cook patties on grill for 4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate, loosely cover with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 6Lightly brush cut side of bread with extra oil. Cook on grill, cut-side down, for 1 minute or until lightly charred.
- Step 7Add mint to beetroot mixture and toss to combine. Place bread bases on plates, then spread with chilli mayonnaise. Top with lettuce leaves and beef patties, then spoon over beetroot salsa. Sandwich with bread tops to serve.
Make fresh breadcrumbs from day-old bread. Remove crusts, place in a food processor, then process until finely chopped. Store in a zip-lock bag in the freezer.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Al Richardson
- Publication: MasterChef