- 1.5kg good-quality beef blade or beef chuck steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 bottle (750ml) good-quality red wine (merlot is ideal)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 150g pancetta, rind removed, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) Massel beef stock
- 1 whole head of garlic, unpeeled
- 12 eschalots, peeled
- 300g button mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 piece orange peel
- Step 1To make the bouquet garni, gather the herbs in a bundle, enclose the woody stems with orange peel and tie together with kitchen string.
- Step 2Place the diced beef and bouquet garni in a large non-metallic bowl and pour the red wine over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Step 4Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil and half the butter in a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat, add the onion and carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until softened. Add the pancetta and cook for a further 2 minutes, then set aside.
- Step 5Drain beef, reserving marinade, and pat dry on kitchen paper. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frypan over high heat and brown beef in batches. Transfer beef to casserole with the onion mixture, sprinkle with flour and stir.
- Step 6Deglaze frypan with marinade, allow to bubble for 1-2 minutes, then add to casserole with the bouquet garni, stock and garlic. Bring to the boil, cover, then cook in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Step 7Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter and oil in a large frypan. Add the eschalots and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until light golden. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes to brown.
- Step 8Remove casserole from oven, stir in eschalots and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Return to the oven, covered, for a further hour. Remove bouquet garni and garlic before serving.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Taste.com.au